The Dojo kun (道場訓) comprises five rules that should guide the behavior of the Karateka inside and outside of the Dojo. The suffix Do, which means “way”, in Karate Do refers to this ethical dimension of the art. Every Karateka is therefore on an ethical journey to righteousness and to make its character perfect. The Dojo kun as well as the longer Niju kun shall guide them on this way.
- Each person must strive for the completion and perfection of one’s character 一、人格 完成に 努める こと (hitotsu, jinkaku kansei ni tsutomeru koto)
- Every person must be faithful and protect the way of truth 一、誠の道を守ること (hitotsu, makoto no michi wo mamoru koto)
- Each person must endeavor (fostering the spirit of effort) 一、努力の精神を養うこと (hitotsu, doryoku no seishin wo yashinau koto)
- Everybody must respect others and the rules of etiquette 一、礼儀を重んずること (hitotsu, reigi wo omonzuru koto)
- Each person must refrain from hot blooded behavior (guard against impetuous courage) 一、血気の勇を戒むること (hitotsu, kekki no yū wo imashimuru koto)